Sunday, November 16, 2008

Church Today

Our sermon today was on the parable of the talents. This is found in Matthew 25:14-30. You can view/listen to the sermon here . Anyway, while listening to the sermon I had a "lightbulb moment" Hahaha. Pastor Brad said if he was writing the parable he would like to include a 4th servant who invested what the master entrusted to him and lost it all. When I first thought about this story I thought the same thing. But as I was sitting in church today it hit me....there never could be a 4th servant to the story....that would never happen! OK OK, hear me out. Let's just say that Jesus was alluding to His relationship with us as master/servant through this parable. Well then, there is never going to be a time when we are given Jesus' love and invest that love with good intentions and come up empty handed. As Jesus servants, entrusted with the great responsibility of spreading His message to all the world, we are never going to lose everything so there couldn't possibly be a fourth servant in the parable. Isn't that an amazing thing to discover? However, with this insight it's also even clearer why the third servant received such anger from his master. I would venture to say that it would make Jesus very unhappy with us if we took the love He offers us and buried it in the backyard, never showing His love to anyone, never speaking His name, never giving Him the glory for all the good things in our lives. Wow! Definitely a week when the sermon seemed directed right at me.

No comments: